trans cooler location

Got Mild Or Wild Dmax Mods Happening Then Post Them Here
4jj1

trans cooler location

Post by 4jj1 »

I couldn't help poking the hornets nest and want to float my idea for trans cooler location. Ive got a 5spd auto 13 dmax. i fitted a scangauge and tow bar then towed a few heavy loads i didnt like the atf temps i was seeing so decided that although i dont tow often i still want a trans cooler. Ive heard arguments about placing the cooler pre and post the factory rad cooler. post rad cooler seems like the most logical plumbing solution. I dont want anything slowing airflow to the intercooler, so i want the transcooler mounted low, im thinking of getting two 300mmx100mm coolers and mounting them side by side beneath the intercooler. this gave me the idea of possibly plumbing one pre factory rad cooler and one after. any thoughts?
mydmax

Re: trans cooler location

Post by mydmax »

With a cooler of sufficient ID tube size the flow through it will be slower and therefore provide greater time to cool hot fluid. If the cooler is in the HOT line from the auto before the radiator heat exchanger, the fluid temp is highest and has far greater ability to use the cooler as a dissiaptor seeing the difference between fluid temp and ambient is the largest heat differential. If the cooler is after the radiator the you have always given the radaitor water the MOST HEAT, and the cooler will not be getting rid of a significant amount of heat because the heat difference is far lower.
If you want to always reduce engine water heat stress of engine cooling system only the cooler, in hottest line, BEFORE the radiator can do that. Can't see why you would need two coolers. If heat was still a problem you could add an electric fan to aid the cooler airflow in very high ambient temps. Advantage of that it can be switched off to prevent overcooling. With a cooler the fluid can remain quite cool with any cooler and in freezing weather, the ability to cover it is a sensible thing to provide. All autos are made to work with the temp at least up to aeound 60 Cat least so the solenoid valving and ECU programmed timing of spool valves and servo pistons can operate as designed.
Your choice of course.
4jj1

Post by 4jj1 »

Yeah thanks for your reply mydmax, i did think about a fan unit and besides the extra cost i dont think a fan down that low will be great when it gets submerged and it will, the idea wasnt so much to have two coolers for the sake of it but just to get the area of cooler equivalent to aftermarket kits ive seen but to also keep it all below the intercooler, i can achieve this economically with two small units and ive also seen a single wide low trans cooler from drivetech which would give about the same area. having two smaller coolers got me wondering about plumbing options, that was the intent of my post, i think from your reply youre saying if i go with two small units to plumb them both before the rad unit, is that right?
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

What is the ID of the coolers tubes you are looking at? Bigger means longer times/lower flow through, to get rid of heat. Two small units will restrict the flow a bit especially if the ID of the tubes is insufficient in size. Why block the lower gap with auto coolers. Won't 1 be sufficient seeing you are not experiencing anything extreme in temps, but then again you didn't provide/state the temps you saw on the gauge so a bit hard to narrow the options down. What you think is too hot may not be. The lower part of the radiator runs fairly cool and ONLY gets hot when ambient is high and engine working hard. I would not like to shove all the HEATED air from a pre rad cooler, which will be hot, into the cooler/lower reserve section of the radiator and the normal auto cooler is warming that water too. If down low, then in waterswims it will block fins and restrict both auto cooling ability and rad cooling airflow.
Some things are try it and see I suppose. If having a large auto cooler ability then the auto fluid may run a bit cool in normal use and partially covering it may be needed. That lowers airflow through radiator then.
If getting rid of heat is what you want Large ID tube coolers work better than one which are similar size to supply lines. If fluid flow is slower in the cooler, ie, bigger id tube than supply size, then a smaller cooler can be used just as effectively as other larger coolers with small id tubes. Length of tubes is also a factor.