repack / replace front bearing grease

Got Mild Or Wild Dmax Mods Happening Then Post Them Here
nando68@bigpond.com

repack / replace front bearing grease

Post by nando68@bigpond.com »

Hi there i have the 2016 Isuzu Dmax 4 x 4 done 120000km and the front wheel bearings need the grease replace it has to be done every 30000km , has anyone missed this in the service schedule as very 30000km is a bit much ?
mydmax

Re: repack / replace front bearing grease

Post by mydmax »

30,000km? used to be 40,000km on earlier models. If sufficient quantity and quality of grease is used and even a dash of Nulon G70 the bearings will last much longer and using that method I do mine at longer intervals. Originally they don't have an over abundance of grease. The more important issue is, with sufficient grease in there, the adjustment may need to be attended to so no slack develops and causes bearing failure.

I used to have a Landcruiser HJ61 and used NULON grease, ie, Teflon grease, and at around 60 to 70 k I would check and replace the grease if needed. The vehicle did well over 200,000km on the same bearings and little adjustment was required. Some of the bearing slack develops because of the inner bearing cone, Which slowly rotates with use, wears the axle face ever so slightly, same happens on the inside face of adjuster plate, ie, groove develops. Over time, both cause some degree of bearing looseness which requires adjusting. The actual bearing faces don't change much at all. If they did they would fail.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Hi, wanted to check if the repacking of wheel bearings should be km based or time based (18 month) per Isuzu service schedule. I have 2015 Dmax and had bearings repacked and greased as per service requirements on 28/3/2018 at 39,742 km then on 19/9/2019 at 55,661 km. Car has now done 64,754 km, so has only done under 10,000km since last repack but is just under 1.5 years ago. No water crossing or beach work has been done since last repack Local garage looked at them when doing a service and did not think they needed regreasing or repacking even though it specified repack for the 120K/72 month service. Isuzu specified every 30,000 km/18 month. I am going on a Simpson Desert Trip next month and wanted to get opinions on whether I should get repack done before I go or whether last repack at 55,661 km in September 2019 would be sufficient until the next service/ post trip.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I do mine every 40,000km and since it has been Wuhanned out of action it sits for a year. The grease doesn't go off in the tin or the hub. If only 10,000km since the last and done with sufficient grease, there should be no need to repack again so soon. However, it is the adjustment which may have altered and any rattle/free play when wheel off the ground and a hit on the top of the wheel face produces a rattle OR you can feel looseness when with hands at bottom and top of wheel, ie, in and out, then it would be best to have them adjusted.