Swapping original Isuzu dDin radio with Isuzu DDin gps head unit - help

Echo

Swapping original Isuzu dDin radio with Isuzu DDin gps head unit - help

Post by Echo »

I have dmax my19 with original double din radio. I have a double din Isuzu gps/radio from a 2016 model. The main wiring looms are different and the 2016 is much smaller in size to my19. Questions. Has anyone done something similar. Can I purchase an iso patch cable? Is it possible to actually fit the 2016 unit and still have my 2019 accessories (ie blue tooth, steering controls etc).
Don’t want an aftermarket stereo after the issues I had with a prior car getting all the accessories to work.
Any help is appreciated.
Echo

Re: Swapping original Isuzu dDin radio with Isuzu DDin gps head unit - help

Post by Echo »

Sorry to main loom is different. The unit fits in the space without any modding.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have a MY14 LST fitted with the Clarion 2DIN head unit which is a very good unit but the updating of maps is a big fail.

If I was thinking about swapping out the original, I guarantee I could fing a better unit to fit in the spot, one that will run the navigation app of my choice and one that has free map updates.

At $150+ for map updates that are anything upto 12 months old. You might even find that map updates are not available to you as the update is tied in with the original owner.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.
Echo

Post by Echo »

Thanks Bob for the reply...it’s never easy when it comes to things I touch 😩
I can get the map updates easy enough though. They cost 120 dollars. Shame, as I have the gps unit here. Just that the looms vary...from the 19 and 16 year models.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I have swapped out radios in the past and have had to splice in the new to the old wiring to get it going.

I just cut each wire one at a time and solder each joint using heat shrink on each joint then tape up each group of wires when done.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.
Echo

Post by Echo »

Cheers Bob, yes I thought that would be the solution. Do the wire colours mirror each plug? That being the only difference is the plug itself.
Bob

Post by Bob »

To be honest, I can't remember as the last time I did it was over 10 years ago.

What you need to do is get the pinout of you original unit and pair up each wire with the pinout of the new unit. Bit of a fiddly job but just take your time and make certain all joints are are covered with the heat shrink tubing.
Echo wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 am Cheers Bob, yes I thought that would be the solution. Do the wire colours mirror each plug? That being the only difference is the plug itself.