2016 ATFS D Max Diesel heater install

JT from Norway

2016 ATFS D Max Diesel heater install

Post by JT from Norway »

Hi all,
New member from freezing cold Norway, so not sure if this is the right place to post this question

I am currently installing a Eberspächer diesel heater in my 2016 ATFS D Max. The install itself is ok, but now im in to the electrics.
The heater i got hold of from a wrecker in Sweden is from a 2018 D Max i believe. As far as i can understand they are more or less the same.
So to my question. The AC/ fan control from the heater has to be spliced in to the car via a eberspächer ipcu pwm module to control the fan and ac in the car when ignition is off.

Does any of you know how the fan control works in a D Max, and maybe where this splices in to the wiring harness in the car?

I have no wiring diagrams, but I have the cut ends from the original car. Two tiny blue wires, and one grey. The last one is missing, but I suspect it was grey too.
Sorry for a rather lengthy post
Hope that there is someone in here that knows something about this

Regards JT
mydmax

Re: 2016 ATFS D Max Diesel heater install

Post by mydmax »

Hello JT.
If your eberspacher is similar or same concept as many other heaters, there are two wire which connect to a Positive supply, and a Negative to earth of vehicle. Those must be capable of delivering 10 to 12 amps and also powers the electronic controller. If all other control wiring is correct the fan in the heater will draw in cooler air and expel hot air. I cannot see how OR why the heater unit could manage to control the current of a Dmax fan. I would never try to connect it to the Dmax heater system!
The Eberspacher control, like others, is electronic and so controls only relatively low fan current flow, around 0,5 to 2 amps max. I know the heater element is around 10 AMPs to glow and light it, but that switches off after heater starts.

The Fan in a Dmax draws significantly more than the fan in the heater and will use battery charge quite fast if used for long without engine running to provide charging of battery. I see you mention the PWM unit and it would do that control, but why? How do you eliminate the PWM signal from back feeding into the Dmax wiring loom circuits? The dmax uses switched to earth positions to control it's fan speed through a 3 stage resistor in the ducting airlfow.

Where in the vehicle is the heater positioned? because to use the Dmax fan you would have to duct the hot exit air from the heater to the intake of the Dmax heater fan anyway.

Can't the Eberspacher simply heat the cabin air as they do on when fitted to other vehicles?
JT from Norway

Post by JT from Norway »

Sorry, im not used to air heaters when talking about dieselheaters, this is a eberspächer hydronic s3 water heater, that heats the coolant. Thats why i have to cut the wires and splice the ipcu pwm module in, so it can control the fan. I suspect this is connected to bypass the fan resistor to lower the current draw from the fan.
The control system for the heater has a 40 amp relay for the fan. So i will have to cut and splice in to the wires on the fan also.
This is a well proven system in Scandinavia to help with cold start and comfort in the cab in minus 20-40c
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

AH, That explains plenty more than first revealed. I know of them but haven't used one.
I hope the battery can withstand running the normal heater fan. You can't have the AIRCON active, otherwise the compressor fan cutch will be drawing heaps of power too while engine stopped.

On the fan motor it is fed with two thick wires, Blue in my early Dmax. One will be + power into fan and the other will be going to the fan resistor block in air stream to cool it during normal operation. You would have to try and use the wire going to the OE speed switch and PWM that to earth. Does the Eberspacher unit PWM to earth, ie Negative. Most pulsed to earth systems use MOSFET transistors to effectively connect a load, MOTOR IN THIS CASE, to negative. In order to do that though you would need to supply the fan positive wires side of it with battery +ve to make it work. Hope this helps sort the issue.
Bob

Post by Bob »

JT, you are asking the wrong country, we in Australia battle to keep them cool but welcome aboard anyway
😀😀
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Yes Bob, we only have Norway in our eskies.
JT from Norway

Post by JT from Norway »

Thaks for the help, an update on the project for those who are interested.

Now the heater is up and running, ready for driving to and from work in a nice and toasty cab frost free windows and all :D
Got it working last night, after many freezing days mounting this thing. Working in cold weather is not easy, even thinking is difficult when you are cold. And with wiring issues last night witch involved lots of bad language.
Switched the two wires from the PWM relay, and the fan started right up. All of the wires for fan control is connected to the blue and the grey wires on the fan resistor module.
The pictures is too big to add in here but the heater with onboard circulating pump is installed in the engine compartment, on the RH inner fender between the air filter box (LH drive), and the ABS unit. Coolant hoses is connected to the inlet to the heater core, and the heater outlet from the engine. Exhaust snakes down along the engine exhaust and out the side.
Programmed and ready to start heating cycle, before and after work. There is also a remote to this, with 1km range, thats quite handy.

Weather forcast for the next week says lowest temp around -10c here, some parts of the country below 40, so winter is definetley here🥶
A friend of mine lives in Perth, they are strolling around in shorts and t shirt, not envious at all :mrgreen:

Happy new year to you all, from freezing cold Norway
JT
Tink

Post by Tink »

Thanks for the write up. It is always interesting reading other people’s experiences. Happy New Year