Dmax switch blanks

Turkey

Dmax switch blanks

Post by Turkey »

Whilst installing my redarc tow pro on the weekend; I discovered the how crappy the switch blanks are. because of how the blanks are you cant really drill through them to mount anything in them, like a light, buzzer, or EBC remote head... ;-)

Does anyone know of any other replacement blanks that fit in a DMAX? Im trying to avoid drilling into anything (other then the blanks) to mount the remote head

T
LSM MY15 Auto DC
sucksqueezebangblow

Re: Dmax switch blanks

Post by sucksqueezebangblow »

i concur they are shit to modify
Danno

Post by Danno »

And I'll 3rd it...it's engineering dept humor, much like the key.

If you drill a large hole just behind the front crossways you can then drill into the middle of the blank, but it's only good for small things like led warning lights.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Dropbear74

Post by Dropbear74 »

How do you remove the blanks? Do they push out, or do you lever them out with a screw driver? I've tried both but worried I'll bust something/
DB74

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km
Danno

Post by Danno »

Dropbear74 wrote:How do you remove the blanks? Do they push out, or do you lever them out with a screw driver? I've tried both but worried I'll bust something/
Gently lever it mate, they come out easy enough.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Mikes7

Post by Mikes7 »

G'day Guys, when you want to drill plastic use either a blunt drill or grind the drill so the inner face is parallel to the axis of the drill (remove the sharp edge) The plastic shatters because a drill with normal angles on it bites in and tears it's way through leaving you with no control over how it drills the hole.
Regards,
Mike.
Regards,
Mike.
Turkey

Post by Turkey »

Mikes7 wrote:G'day Guys, when you want to drill plastic use either a blunt drill or grind the drill so the inner face is parallel to the axis of the drill (remove the sharp edge) The plastic shatters because a drill with normal angles on it bites in and tears it's way through leaving you with no control over how it drills the hole.
Regards,
Mike.
Good to know, thanks mate
LSM MY15 Auto DC
Bob

Post by Bob »

A stepped drill works very well on plastic without tearing it. Very handy item to have in the toolbox.
Mikes7 wrote:G'day Guys, when you want to drill plastic use either a blunt drill or grind the drill so the inner face is parallel to the axis of the drill (remove the sharp edge) The plastic shatters because a drill with normal angles on it bites in and tears it's way through leaving you with no control over how it drills the hole.
Regards,
Mike.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.
Valkie

Post by Valkie »

Can someone post a picture of how to remove the blank on the L/H side of the steering column.
I want to put my driving light switch there and I can't quite get it out.
I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Thanks
Duck

Post by Duck »

I bought new switches for the blanks, come with stickers to identify the purpose, $15 each from electrade but see plenty of brands to fit the Dmax, if the. blanks shatter