2020 D Max Steering is dangerous

Anything Regarding D-Max's/Colorado
garrytre

Re: 2020 D Max Steering is dangerous

Post by garrytre »

Hi Dan

thanks for that update. I'm always interested in how goal directed behaviour has unexpected consequences, and how management systems deal with it. So thinking out aloud...

>As for a single button to turn the stupid thing off it will never happen as ANCAP will no longer allow it....

I'm querying the notion of 'no longer allow'. If I understand, ANCAP (Australasian New Car Assessment Program) is not a regulator, so has no power to allow or disallow anything directly. Although, by selecting the criteria by which they give a rating, they affect the final rating. That will potentially affect sales, therefore will dictate what the manufacturers put into it. For example, by preferring strength over visibility, big and visually obstructive A pillars are implemented.

My email conversations with SA's RAA and other sources say that these 'helpful' facilities are 'for assistance only', must not be depended on, and the driver must remain in control at all times.

But https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-testing-explained indicates ANCAP place high importance on 'active safety systems'. Seems to me the dice is loaded.

regards
Garry
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
Dmaxdeathtrap

Post by Dmaxdeathtrap »

I've owned 4 dmax's in 5 years and joined this forum after googling a fix for the lane assist, just so I can vent. I get a new one every 75000km as part of my work agreement in conjunction with a fuel card which I am allowed to use for unlimited kms for personal use, which I take full advantage of. Usually by the time they get around to replacing one its at about 100,000kms or more. At a rough guess I've done around 420 - 430,000 kms in Dmax's in 5 years and so far have loved them. I've been everywhere in the eastern half of Australia and have done countless long haul trips. My last one was a manual and last week my knew one arrived which I've gone back to auto with.

My latest one has lane assist and I've seriously gotta say nice one IZUZU. Nice way to take a perfectly awesome ute and turn it into an absolute piece of crap dangerous death trap. I don't even want to go and pick my kids up in it next week. In the 4 days since I've had possession of it, it has tried to steer me into an oncoming concrete truck and another vehicle, tried to drive me off the road into a gorge and also tried to make me hit a jogger when I swerved around him. A mate who recently purchased one privately told me he regretted it but I thought he was just exaggerating and also mine was already on order with work and I couldn't back out of it.

This afternoon I sat down and researched how to switch off the lane assist. What a pain in the ass. Who wants to go through that process every time they start their car. I've read through the comments on here and I've seen a few posts where someone says basically that people need to learn to drive and that there is nothing wrong with it. That to me reeks of someone from Izuzu being on here. I sincerely hope Dmax comes up with a easy disable for the lane assist post haste. This is absolute madness and had I known prior to ordering I would have chosen a different vehicle. Partly my fault as I didn't test drive as I've always been happy with Dmax's, wish I had though.

I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A DMAX TO TAKE IT FOR THOUROUGH TEST DRIVE AND ALSO UNDERSTAND THE PAINFUL PROCESS TO DISABLE THE LANE ASSIST THAT NEEDS TO BE DONE EVERY TIME YOU START THE ENGINE AS IT RESETS EVERY TIME ON SHUTDOWN.

I will be attempting to return mine but I'm not holding my breath. Hope not to many people get killed by this garbage before Izuzu decides to rectify it.

DON'T BUY A DMAX WITH LANE ASSIST. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

DDT
I hope you read back to page 6 and then send a definitive complaint to the National Recall Authority in Canberra, so they can evaluate your detailed experience and maybe your complaint will trigger an investigation. I hope ALL. people who use Xmas have a DASH CAMERA to record their " DANGEROUS EVENTS" SO VIDEO EVIDENCE IS AT HAND. If an accident happens you WILL need it. Tesla has killed with it's automated systems. Maybe Isuzu is yet to score.
Dmaxdeathtrap

Post by Dmaxdeathtrap »

Yep definitely mate. If I'm stuck with it for 75000kms Ill be definitely installing a dashcam and I'll be contacting the national recall authority next week regardless. Very disappointed, I've loved the Dmax up until now. I think if you could turn it off and some of the other auto safety features and leave them off it wouldn't be an issue. Just seems crazy the way they've done this. Surely they are loosing sales over this??
mlee76

Post by mlee76 »

Shaun do you realise that there is no actual physical switch. The selection for OFF is done in software by scrolling through a menu. I doubt you will be able to install relay to perform this task.
Tink

Post by Tink »

At risk of being ridiculed and flamed by some on here, I recently towed my off road camper 7500km to Cape York and back. A wide variety of roads from freeway, highway, major country roads, minor country roads, single lane bitumen and of course lots of dirt roads plus some off roading along the Tele Track. Not once did I have an issue with the IDAS. I turned nothing off other than the trailer plug automatically disabling the rear parking sensors when I hitched up. I now have 11K kms on the clock and not once has the lane assist steered my towards anything. Yes, it puts an alert on the dash and occasionally it has beeped at me, but at no stage has it done anything dangerous. I have all of the IDAS distance settings set as “near” but as that is Is what I have had them set at since new, I have no idea if it makes any difference.
Simon
Site Admin

Post by Simon »

Drove a mates brand new X Terrian recently and noticed it was nowhere near as intrusive as his previous LSM that he had, so much so that I commented on it and he said that he noticed it was heaps better than his old one .

Maybe they have recalibrated the lane keep system in the newer ones without saying anything hence the variation in feedback . :?