Turbo upgrade

Anything Regarding D-Max's/Colorado
morph

Turbo upgrade

Post by morph »

I have 2014 Dmax and wondering if anyone has upgraded the turbo, I cannot find any info on what OEM turbo is in the ute or what aftermarket turbo will fit. Is there anyone who knows or has installed an aftermarket turbo.
The little black duck
mydmax

Re: Turbo upgrade

Post by mydmax »

morph
Firstly, what do you expect a so called turbo upgrade to do/achieve?
A replacement of similar ability will still only provide the same boost level under the same conditions as it is determined by the ECU and MAP sensor to control the turbo boost chamber and turbo vane ring angle. Even if the replacement is able to develop more boost at same exhaust energy output, no gain will be experienced unless the ECU is remapped to cause an increase in boost at that point. Also, the boost, if already sufficient, and the boost charge can burn more fuel, either larger output flow injectors or that remap would need to create more injection per unit tim, hence more mpower, less economy.
Only when the exhaust is continually smoking, ie, loss of economy for your pocket, will a larger turbo be required.
YES, you can fit a different one but unless you know and are guaranteed any benefit, I don't think you gain much.
If you have spare cash and presume it will improve things or it makes you feel better that you have a different turbo then ok.
A larger exhaust system may improve acceleration, slightly raise the onset of boost by creating a greater pressure drop across the turbo exhaust impeller, but full power may not be afrfected greatly.
Mike C

Re: Turbo upgrade

Post by Mike C »

Most blokes that blow up a turbo seem to replace it with an OEM unit. If your looking for more power an ECU remap or in the past aftermarket chip is the go.