2020 D Max Steering is dangerous

Anything Regarding D-Max's/Colorado
Atholmackenzie

2020 D Max Steering is dangerous

Post by Atholmackenzie »

My 2020 LSU D-Max lane assist steering is Dangerous

Be aware of steering issues , I am very nervous and very disappointed in this vehicle
- Can put you into oncoming truck trailer by trying to hold its lane
- Can put you into upcoming large animals by trying to hold its lane
- Does not allow for outback roads where the shoulder is badly damaged ie, Was single lane with top coat making it double lane.
I've found the new D-Max to be a metropolitan vehicle only and DOES NOT SUIT OUTBACK DRIVING AT ALL.
My Ute now has 4300KM and I've parked it after 3 near misses. I'm 49 and have ridden road bikes and trail bikes most of my life and never felt this nervous operating a machine.
This D-Max is the most disappointing vehicle I've ever owned. :( -- ISUZU HAVE GOT THIS ONE WRONG --
Please note the new Hi lux steering assist can be turned of very easily by use of a switch
Danno

Re: 2020 D Max Steering is dangerous

Post by Danno »

Yep, one of many reasons I would never buy one of the new one's, too many nanny devices and in a short test drive I had of one (no intention of buying just a sticky beak) I put it in a situation to provoke the lane keep assist and it shocked the crap out of me, for the record I was simply merging left from the right lane of a dual merge (if that makes sense).
As soon as I saw "electric steering rack" in the specs early on I knew they would put this kind of rubbish on and in typical Isuzu fashion make it difficult and annoying to turn off. It can be turned off but my understanding is it has to be turned off everytime you restart the car.... :roll: ...yep that'll never get irritating will it?

I have heard this complaint from quite a few car testers/reviewers so maybe a bit of reprogramming or a switch might be in it's future but knowing Isuzu don't count on it.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

If you fit a small 12v relay to momentarily bridge the contacts/pins of the switch which turns the system OFF when at startup. the system will be OFF. To set the relay ON time, fit an electrolytic capacitor to the positive side and other side of the cap to negative. When starting, the relay gets a start pulse from the "ignition" wire and depending on the size capacity of the capacitor, ie, hang ON time of the relay coil, the system will see the same as you pressed and held the exclude button for a period of time. That way, every time, the start signal will turn ON and hold ON the relay for a short time, which is the same as the asking/pressing the button to turn the system OFF. Same will work for the stupid auto engine stop systems which many cars have. My friends Mazda does it and can be made to turn off automatically via the above addition.
garrytre

Post by garrytre »

Yes everything has side effects.

Armco railings that keep you safe when let you're driving too fast and drunk are great for 'road safety' if you define road safety as 'car occupant safety'. But they encourage poor driving. And they impede walkers, horse riders, roos & koalas getting off the road. There's a case for saying they increase general danger, for everyone except car occupants. So what's the cost / benefit analysis? As far as I know, there has never been one, just an assumption of net benefit.

'A' pillars - those big lumps of structure that, especially the RHS one, MAC trucks can hide behind, are necessary for strength when your car is upside down. Net benefit? No research that I know of.

Bright projector lights - blind oncoming drivers. Research and regulation includes words like 'if adjusted properly', but what about when (predictably) they're not.

Child locks? Great idea. But used by kidnappers & rapists. And they can stop kids getting out of the car if the driver is disabled.

Everything can have a downside, and it's hard to judge net gain / loss.

https://www.hotcars.com/safety-features ... ving-more/
points out lots of potential problems - none that get me very excited.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/873316/adv ... us-report/
describes lane departure avoidance steering you into a stationary car 2/3 of the time, in various cars.

It'll be interesting to see how the legal situation progresses after a few accidents. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsafe_at_Any_Speed is interesting.

>the new Hi lux steering assist can be turned of very easily by use of a switch
and I wonder about the attitude of authorities & insurers after an accident when they find this switched off.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Apparently you can fix some of these problems by slipping a card between the windscreen and camera, effectively blinding the camera and disabling the lane keep etc. There's probably an insurance implication there no doubt but I'd do it.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
Tink

Post by Tink »

Lots and lots of people don’t have any issues. Think a lot of the problems are a result of driving styles.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Tink wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:51 am Lots and lots of people don’t have any issues. Think a lot of the problems are a result of driving styles.
And maybe some people just can't accept new technology.

I don't know how many people I have seen bag the convex mirrors, I have them on the Clearview and find them excellent. My wife Hyundai has them and it doesn't take much to get used to them.
2014 LST Ash Beige. SMM Steel canopy, Outback Drawers, dual battery with 2 x 160W solar panels (keeps the beers nice and cold), 135L tank, TJM T15 alloy bar with Xray-vision LED lights, Dumbo Clearview Mirrors. The ultimate tow truck.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Not sure if the new Mazda BT50 has similar or same system, I expect it has much the same and haven't heard of problems by Mazda owners. The TV ad for the BT50 says, "IT'S SMART", is the Isuzu dumb?
shaun350

Post by shaun350 »

I just sent emailed Isuzu this morning. I have pasted below.

LANE KEEP ASSIST - LANE DEPARTURE PREVENTION

Dear Isuzu

I have now driven 5,000 kms in my new Dmax on country highways and must say how terrible and unsettling the LKA & LDP feature is. It is taking away the positive experience of driving this new car. Its not consistent in how it operates and its always tugging on the wheel, even when I have not even put my tyres on the white line.

Towing my boat trailer and caravan is even more annoying as you frequently have to change the line on the road that the vehicle takes compensate for the path of the trailer (your last Dmax magazine acknowledges this shortcoming when towing).

What has led to this email is the following scenario that happened to me 2 days ago. I was driving my new LSU on the weekend at approximately 100kph. I had a cyclist ahead of me. As I approached the cyclist, I gradually veered onto the double lines to give the required 1.5m distance. As I did this the wheel autonomously pulled back to the left quite firmly. This caused me to nearly hit the cyclist and gave me a fright.

After this experience I question the safety of this system and want it permanently switched off. I am aware that it can be done by the user but this defaults back to “on” when the vehicle is re started.

I had the previous model and absolutely loved it. I am now considering selling this model and buying a Landcruiser.

Please advise on what you can do to assist.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Shaun
Earlier in this thread I posted what you can do to negate the system EVERY time you start. Then it will be off. No need to sell a good vehicle at all. Simply make the system selectable. Can be done via a switch to resume. With the switch OFF it will be as Isuzu made it to be. With it ON, the system will de-arm each time. Not sure of which legalities are there but many systems can be turned off by purposely pressing associated dash buttons. Why not auto off then? I made similar systems to stop Petrol Gas leanness backfires wrecking airflow meters previously.