ATTN Victoria: DMAX / MUX High Country Meet Up

Stop Dreaming and Get Out There
gmax

Re: ATTN Victoria: DMAX / MUX High Country Meet Up

Post by gmax »

I might come up jacko if I'm not doin anything for the day maybe have a few beers
Jackofjr

Post by Jackofjr »

gmax wrote:I might come up jacko if I'm not doin anything for the day maybe have a few beers
Yep Gmax that would be good , it might not suit some more than likely going to be a mid week thing .
explora4wd

Post by explora4wd »

Jackofjr wrote:
explora4wd wrote: Cool thanks mate. We're just hanging around at various campgrounds close to Melbourne. Happy to do any tracks you guys want to do. Thompson Dam sounds good, we can bring the house (camper trailer) with us.
Are you hanging around any campgrounds East side of Melbourne , I will be taking my Tvan .
Nah north. We're doing some house sitting near Bendigo at the moment, then probably back to Tree Tops Scout Camp.

Don't mind a good winch session, but it starts to get old when your a few hours in and get bogged 15 meters along the track from where you last winched. Still good fun in the end I guess!?

What dates is this happening?
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

jacko...years ago I might have thought that was fun...sort of...and I don't mind getting wet or tramping through bush and getting bloody ticks on me(the other day I got 4 ticks on me and came face to face with a snake I thought was one of the real nasty ones while I was golf ball hunting) but I would much rather be fishing than winching these days...i'll get the chair out,open a tinny and offer all sorts of good advice and take careful notes :D
Jackofjr

Post by Jackofjr »

explora4wd wrote:
Jackofjr wrote:
explora4wd wrote: Cool thanks mate. We're just hanging around at various campgrounds close to Melbourne. Happy to do any tracks you guys want to do. Thompson Dam sounds good, we can bring the house (camper trailer) with us.[/quote
What dates is this happening?
Silver says he is getting to my place on or about the 26th of this month , he has 10 day up his sleeve
Including getting back to Mallacoota for a couple of days do some fishing.

So I kinda planned to kill a couple of day here doing nuthin much then heading bush for a couple of nights , I guess that would see us up the bush about the 29-30 this month .

I have a mate that might come along in his new Hilux ( hope there are no Moose up there ) but all this is flexible if someone want to tag along , let me know it's possibly to change things to accommodate others .

Depends on the weather at the time to , I have no intention of getting into a situation where we will be doing any winching or any recovery ,

Silver can have a play with his Diff Lock and Winch , just to make sure it all works , it's not a bad idea to give ya Winch a run every now and then .
Jackofjr

Post by Jackofjr »

Silver turned up at my place this morning , we are loaded ready to hit a few tracks tomorrow for a couple of nights , mate with his new Hilux might be coming with us .
I have all the tools recovery gear a couple of jacks , cordless angle grinder and a spare CV .

I have just driven his Ute over the Weighbridge Front axel 1400kg , Rear 1580kg , Total 2980kg that pretty much a full load , full fuel tank , with both us sitting in it , he reckons I will make up for the empty water tank .

Just a well he has a GVM up grade ,
Dropbear74

Post by Dropbear74 »

Jackofjr wrote:Silver turned up at my place this morning , we are loaded ready to hit a few tracks tomorrow for a couple of nights , mate with his new Hilux might be coming with us .
I have all the tools recovery gear a couple of jacks , cordless angle grinder and a spare CV .

I have just driven his Ute over the Weighbridge Front axel 1400kg , Rear 1580kg , Total 2980kg that pretty much a full load , full fuel tank , with both us sitting in it , he reckons I will make up for the empty water tank .

Have fun gents. If close to the GVM just make sure you go to the loo before you leave. :lol: wish I could have spent more time through there last week but a fleeting glance has only whetted the appetite for more next time.
DB74

2012 LS-T, Mineral Grey. ARB Canopy, Traderack, Bullbar, Airtech Snorkel, XDC winch, Xray Vision driving lights, TX3345 GME radio, Dual Battery via Redarc VSR, OME 300kg Constant load suspension, factory towbar, Dueler 697 LT tyres, now 70,000km
Jackofjr

Post by Jackofjr »

Dropbear74 wrote:
Jackofjr wrote:Silver turned up at my place this morning , we are loaded ready to hit a few tracks tomorrow for a couple of nights , mate with his new Hilux might be coming with us .

Have fun gents. If close to the GVM just make sure you go to the loo before you leave. :lol: wish I could have spent more time through there last week but a fleeting glance has only whetted the appetite for more next time.
No it's all good with the GVM upgrade he has a couple of hundred Kg up his sleeve.
Silver05

Post by Silver05 »

Well...a good couple of nights up the high country. Quite a few firsts for me. I've never driven up ( or been a passenger in a car that has driven up) such a steep slope before. To me it was a bit of an eye opener to see what these things can do and gave me some insight into what I will be able to tackle when out and about by myself. It was really good to have a go at it and I reckon the Dmax would have got to the top if the bloody ARB locker had worked!!! Not happy at all ARB!!! Apparently there is a fix for the problem but I'm really annoyed that they don't tell you when you fit one. In my case I had the locker BEFORE I even had the car as I bought it when they had a special on and stuck it in my room. The first time I wanted it to work it failed and I will not recommend them to anyone. :oops: :evil: They are going to cop an earful tomorrow and I will be asking them to pay for the part/fix that should have been part of the package in the first place.
It did, however, mean that the winch got it's first workout and it was no problem at all. It was good to have some people around that have done this sort of stuff as it makes it a bit easier to learn quickly I reckon.
It was also the first time I have caught a trout in a high country stream. It was only a little brown trout ( got 1, lost one on the bank,got 3 hits, an saw a good dozen) but it was fun hiking along the creek in the peace and quiet of the hills and the water was surprisingly warm. Great couple of hours :D .
All up, the Dmax performed quite well and considering I'm pushing 3T around it did a good job. It rides pretty good on the highway and feels fairly well balanced as far as the suspension goes.
If jacko gets around to posting the video I can say with all confidence that the hill we went up is far steeper than it looks in the video. :o
Tomorrow we are off to Lake Tyres for a spot of fishing and we will work our way back to Mallacoota for a few days. :D
Danno

Post by Danno »

Welcome to the "my ARB air locker let me down" club mate, your in good company because it contains just about everyone who's ever owned one and on your first time too... maybe we should of warned you they were troublesome and not to fit one..... Oh wait.... :lol:

They still haven't ironed out all the bugs out of those pos things after 40 odd years no wonder they virtually can't give them away now, there's one thing I know whenever I flick the elocker button on mine... it'll work! and that's worth the few hundred extra.

So the Dmax's awesome traction control couldn't get you to the top either?! :lol:
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549