In tank fuel pump?

wuigi

In tank fuel pump?

Post by wuigi »

Son has 2009 Colly single cab with the 4jj1 eng. I presume with that engine there is no tank fuel pump?

Reason: He has filled it with unleaded and I am about to help him drain it somehow and just need a bit of background info on this system.
He has not run the engine and has pushed it to the side of the servo.
Spacecab
mydmax

Re: In tank fuel pump?

Post by mydmax »

wuigi
Until you complete this DO NOT START THE ENGINE!
With the earlier models they DO HAVE an in tank fuel pump. If tank is contaminated you can drain the whole system by removing the fuel line between the fuel filter and engine, and run the pump by removing the fuel pump relay and shorting the two larger spade terminal ports. That will run the pump and deliver contents of tank out the filter exit. need a length of hose to reach jerry cans . When run until empty you can reFILL the tank with diesel and the remaining amount of fuel in there will be diluted by the diesel and not cause a problem. With filter hose reconnected and secure, again run the pump for for a couple of minutes to recirculate any petrol near the high pressure pump. Need something to catch the fuel in / 4 jerries? Alternatively you can use some small high pressure nylon tube, air line tube, to go into tank filler and syphon it all out that way. A bit harder, never done that but imagine it too would work. Using the electric in tank pump will get all but a 3 litres out of the tank if run until empty. No need for key on sequence of set runtime. if relay removed and mains terminals joined/jumped. 3 litres on 76 is only around 4% petrol content and won't be noticed if mixed through after the above mentioned pump recirc for a couple of minutes or a bit more.
Last edited by mydmax on Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

When changing filters, I use two wires with a switch and male spade ends to fit into the relay main terminals in the fuse box. That way I can turn on and off the pump when required to bleed air from system before starting. same idea used above to eliminate tank contents. I would drain the fuel filter while the pump is running to drain the bottom of filter housing canister by opening the little valve near the LHS bonnet hinge. It has a length of exit line going down past the chassis rail. catch what come out for at least 1 1/2 litres.
wuigi

Post by wuigi »

Thanks for the info mydmax. Unfortunately had to go before your reply.

The ute had not been run, and we managed to siphon 6o litres using jerrys from the tank (the eco warriors were watching us for any spillage). We then put 20 litres of fresh diesel back in and rocked the dmax for around 5 mins to mix/dilute the remaining fuel.
Performed another siphon and took the 20 litres back out. A full bottle of diesel conditioner was put in the tank followed by a fill with diesel.
Started first turn and has run perfectly normal since (a few hundred Kms now).
Spacecab
Danno

Post by Danno »

This mob do some clever stuff including this- https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/diesel ... prevention I'm considering fitting one to our new 4wd as I live in fear of my wife doing this.
Where some people get caught here is that they do the right thing and don't start the car but then turn the ignition on to unlock the steering and push it away from the bowser...and the fuel pump starts cycling...not all cars do this but mine does. I've told my missus the very first thing she is to do is disconnect the battery then move it no matter what anyone says.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Although removal of the battery terminal is a precautionary move, I prefer to remove the fuel pump relay which is clearly marked in fuse box. If you have that with you and the vehicle has to go to a service shop or external folk, those who are dealing with the issue,.IE, anyone in repair chain can reconnect battery and undo what you tried to prevent. With you in charge of relay makes it safer and the repairers have less options to make mistakes.
wuigi

Post by wuigi »

Thats the sort of thing we need Danno. I wonder how it would work on a ute as they can be a mongrel for blowbacks without anything else in the filler neck, think it would work OK in a wagon though.

Will suss out the fuel relay next time I catch up with prodigal son.
Spacecab
garrytre

Post by garrytre »

Petrol is my fear as well. I was recently on a trip with about 25 people, 8 diesels, 3 petrol cars, and I was constantly worried by people talking about getting petrol. It seems the word 'petrol' has become generic for any fuel. Luckily both wife's and my cars are diesel, and she puts diesel in her car, even though she sometimes calls it petrol.

I looked at https://www.waterindiesel.com.au/diesel ... prevention
Text says 'Diesel Fill has a locking system which will only open when exactly the correct nozzle size is inserted into the receiver.' So it won't work for me - I use at least two different sizes of fill nozzle. Maybe more than two - don't know, never measured. I notice that on the fairly sophisicated web page, there's an error near the bottom that just happens to cover up the note '* Please note that the Diesel Fill will not accept a High flow Diesel Nozzle.'
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

garrytre
It is confusing with ozzies who have adopted Yankee terminology instead of Australian terms, because they call Petrol, GAS, gas is called propane. Some vehicle use gas ie, lpg, so unless they are a bit more willing to say the reality, they call into a fuel station and get gas, petrol, gas, lpg and often as mentioned people call diesel, petrol, no wonder some mistakes happen. I wonder why it stopped!