Flywheel

goody59

Flywheel

Post by goody59 »

MY18 Isuzu Dmax SX 4x4, 6 speed manual. Does this have a dual mass flywheel? I suspect it does.
Danno

Re: Flywheel

Post by Danno »

It sure does and it's best replaced with a single mass when the clutch throws the towel in probably very early in the cars life if the 6 speed clutch is anything like the 5...mine and a lot of others at the time were pretty well shot after about 40000k's especially if you do any towing be it light or heavy they just weren't up to the job and Isuzu was aware of this. Mine was changed under warranty whilst the gearbox squeal thingy was trying to be repaired.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
goody59

Post by goody59 »

Thanks Danno,
Have had yes and no answers to question, a guy (Max) in the FB group said he has pulled a couple out of MY18's and they were singular/ solid versus dual mass. There is confusion.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I thought the Dmax has NO dual mass flywheel unlike many others, the clutches may not last for some folk but the ones I know of simply replaced the clutch onto the flywheel. Perhaps mine does have a dual mass and I will see when the clutch needs removing.
goody59

Post by goody59 »

Hi mydmax, the 2020 new Dmax has a dual mass flywheel by all accounts but the engine before the latest, like my MY18, reportedly do not have dual mass flywheel. I have a friend I am seeing tomorrow morning, he is manager of the workshop of Essendon Isuzu and Essendon Honda across the road from Isuzu. I will quizz him on subject in the morning.
Danno

Post by Danno »

goody59 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:15 pm Hi mydmax, the 2020 new Dmax has a dual mass flywheel by all accounts but the engine before the latest, like my MY18, reportedly do not have dual mass flywheel. I have a friend I am seeing tomorrow morning, he is manager of the workshop of Essendon Isuzu and Essendon Honda across the road from Isuzu. I will quizz him on subject in the morning.
I think you're right on this, I can recall them saying that they machined the flywheel when they were fixing mine and you generally can't machine a dual mass but at the time thought nothing of it, I like everyone else at the time just assumed it was DM like everything else....and now looking for a flywheel for a DMax they all come up single mass both new and second hand so you might be lucky.
I have a 2005 GT turbo liberty I keep squirreled away in the shed and never have time to drive and it had a dual mass flywheel when I got it and a shot clutch so I just converted it with a lightened flywheel for a few hundred bucks..no big deal in the end.

So why the question is it on it's way out? or are you planning to tow? I found the details of mine elsewhere in the forum, mine was at 70k and in Darwin at the time (still travelling around Oz) and decided to get the gbox squeal fixed whilst there as the service manager was a friend, when I picked the car up he told me the clutch was 4/5ths buggered and he'd changed it under warranty as it was common and well known at Isuzu. My car had travelled 90% of it's life on the open road and half of that towing a lightweight TVan with very little off road so I was pretty shocked it was about to let go. Looking into it it turned out it was pretty common. For perspective and to counter the usual assumption with a clutch that it's driver error I drive 140T triple & quad road trains for a living so I have some idea how to look after a clutch. It was just yet another area on this model of Isuzu where they simply dropped the ball, hopefully they've learned some lessons and the new one is better.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
goody59

Post by goody59 »

Hi Danno,
I like to be prepared and do my homework on my future motoring. I talked about buying a Dmax for 5 years before purchase. Research, research and research to be sure. I want to plan my clutch replacement well in advance. Npc sounds like a good choice so far. I am easy on clutches but know they wear and will required to be replaced. I don't tow much. Built a tourer from Spacecab base that we sleep in. Touring without towing was the brief for me. My build is done for now but plan a rear diff lock at some stage.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Goody
It is pretty hard to plan a clutch replacement as you really don't know how much is is worn anyway. Unless some definite symptom begins to make itself known. I, like Danno, towed a Tvan a long way, they weight over a ton with some extras. Tanks and batteries and lots of other stuff too. Mine tows trailers and recently a 1800kg caravan. The beauty of having a 4wd manual is being able to select LOW if you know the startoff is going to be harder than normal. Makes almost no effort for the clutch if used like that. As long as you aren't slipping the clutch all the time and heating it up it should last well. Although a different vehicle, I had a HJ61 turbo cruiser for 25 years and it was sold with original clutch. Did a lot of work. If wear wise, if you can't get 100,000km out of a clutch something is wrong somewhere. I certainly don't expect to replace mine.