Rear axle cracked

goody59

Re: Rear axle cracked

Post by goody59 »

mydmax,
I never considered the airbags as an option ever. There is a "compression section" of the jounce stops before it is solid and "no compression" like the oem bump stop. I will try and find the breakdown of the jounce stop ie compression section and non compression section.
Edit. Best I could find watching a youtube on product is that they only compress to the same height of the oem bump stop then the non compression section act the same as an oem bump stop. So with that information re the compression section is the top 30mm then the rest ie 80mm is non compression like oem bump stop. Sounds good to me.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

goody
The OE bump stop once contacted will progressively compress and probably reduce in half it's height before actually becoming solid, ie, it squashes out a fair bit. Therefore the actual distance the suspension moves through from a set height will be more than the Jounce will allow. It has a big metal base and solid above that before any bellows action. Won't the jounce ones begin to spread to one side or split after a while. Must be marvelous stuff if not. After all, when the suspension gets to the rubber, from your sensible ride height, the shock absorbers should have done their work and reduced the maximum axle tube cracking stresses, the rubber just to take and finalize it all. If the jounce grabs before that, it is acting like an airbag does. Perhaps I am just not a fan of those type of things which have been around for years.
goody59

Post by goody59 »

I will quizz the guys at Outback Armour for further and better particulars re their product versus oem bump stop. My oem bump stop does not appear that it would compress much at all. It feels pretty solid. Anyway, I will see how I go finding out more stuff re issue.
Cheers!
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I have been in touch with Chris after specifically looking at a few Dmax Axle tubes. His has cracked, as suspected with the origin appearing on outside edge of the rear weld at the spring bracket welding run and tracks almost vertically downward to the horizontal tube weld. If carrying heavy loads in offroad situations it would be best to check that area on both sides quite regularly.
goody59

Post by goody59 »

Any associated photos to post of this area mydmax?
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Goody
Courtesy of Chris who took the pic, so thanks to him and hello to Isuzu too.
When looking from behind RHR wheel at spring pad are you will see at the end of the bracket weld a crack has travelled downward through the horizontal axle tube weld. When the wheel hits a restriction/bump, the load and forward travel creates a vector angle force at a rearward leaning angle on ALL vehicles. With high weight it has flexed the axle tube at the weld and continues to flex the tube at the rear of the axle tube. The weight and the damping is the issue not the bottoming. This may also occur on the LHS in reverse position.
Vert crack from weld end.jpg
goody59

Post by goody59 »

Got it! A picture is worth a thousand words. Another potential issue to keep an eye on then. There is a few on that list now to keep watchful eye on for my MY18. Inner guard crack, axle crack, evaporator for AC crack, steering rack housing crack.