Dual mass flywheel, or clutch?

Tailwheel

Dual mass flywheel, or clutch?

Post by Tailwheel »

Hi all, my clutch is starting to 'shudder slightly' on engagement, not much but thinking I may be due for a new one soon for a 2012 Dmax, [last of the 2007-2012 models]
I am not sure whether it's a dual mass flywheel or not from what I have read.
Now, is it a dual mass clutch, or flywheel as I have read here somewhere that the flywheel has been 'shaved' and a conventional heavy duty clutch fitted?
My ute is original with 270K on the clock and considering a new clutch [and I am very easy on the clutch] but not too sure after what I have read.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tailwheel.
Regards,
Tailwheel.
mydmax

Re: Dual mass flywheel, or clutch?

Post by mydmax »

G'day Tailwheel.
As far as I know they Isuzu's don't have a dual mass flywheel. Never had one out! I see you have done 270K but it could also be the LH engine mount parting in it's rubber component and allowing the engine to flick up and down in an anti crankshaft direction under initial load/takeup of clutch action. Not saying it isn't the clutch plate friction shuddering but by carefully jacking the sump near LHS with a wide wooden plate to spread load jacking force, you may see an abnormal degree of movement in the LHS engine mount if it has degraded. LHS lifts when under torque. Mine shudders too, mostly when cold and I have to check why when I become motivated.
Cheers
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

Hi Mydmax,
Thanks for that, now to get myself motivated and get underneath the beast to check the engine mounts.
This maybe also a cause of a 'rattle' underneath when starting as I have reported before, and even at times when driving on a potholed roadway. One very strange thing is that when its raining the 'rattle' seems to dissapear ?

Ciao
Regards,
Tailwheel.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

TW.
I have a slight groan from the front body/chassis mounts sometimes and it disappears when raining. only thing I can think of there. If it happens it is always when beginning to make a turn as the chassis leans/twists slightly and body doesn't want to.
Other rattle can be the turbo dump pipe bracket. if it is loose it may cause a rattle sometimes. Positioned right beside the bell housing about half way down the drop section.
Just a maybe!
Cheers
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

MD,
I appreciate the info mate, it gives me more to inspect when I do get under the bonnet.

Ciao
Regards,
Tailwheel.
Tailwheel

Post by Tailwheel »

Back again,
I crawled underneath with a torch and jack, the left engine mount never moved. Went around with a stethoscope and there are rattles everywhere, good old Isuzu rattles.
It still appears to be coming from the LHS lower cabin and is very pronounced heavy knocking inside when starting the engine. Next chance I get I will pull the gear stick cover and inspect it from there as it does seem to be around floor level,,,,, otherwise I'm stumped!

Till next time.
Regards,
Tailwheel.
Mike C

Post by Mike C »

If the engine and gearbox mounts are gone the gear stick often rocks when the clutch is engaged when starting in 1st.
Mike C

Post by Mike C »

ust checked in the manual I leave with my truck. It's a single plate diaphragm clutch. If it worries you it might be a good idea to have a look at it.