2007 D-max flywheel or clutch release bearing

mt1

2007 D-max flywheel or clutch release bearing

Post by mt1 »

I have been searching the internet for possible solutions for my problem. It seems to be flywheel issue but similar cases for isuzu-s do not mention flywheels.

The problem - when idling there is barely noticeable sound from transmission when clutch is depressed. Noise goes away when raising RPMs or starts to disappear when clutch is pressed halfway down to fully pressed position. The sound isn't metallic or mechanical, there are no vibrations etc. At first I didn't even pick it up from diesel engine chatter, but there is a big difference in nose reduction when pressing down the clutch.

Clutch also seems a bit worn, clutch starts "biting" quite high when starting to move in 1st gear, but isn't slipping. Might be a Isuzu thing, haven't driven any other Isuzus and just bought the D-Max.

The noise is very similar to the release bearing sound on my passat, but noise appeared only when clutch was halfway pressed, not when fully pressed or depressed.

Would be great if anyone could share if they've been in similar situation and what was the solution.
mydmax

Re: 2007 D-max flywheel or clutch release bearing

Post by mydmax »

mt1
Not sure of your mechanical understanding, but there will be NO Noise from the gearbox when clutch is depressed, because they box input shaft has stopped rotating. There will be some noise when the engine is driving the gearbox input shaft and in Neutral. Any rattle noise will reduce and disappear as revs increase because the 4cylinder engine vibe pulses are then closer together, less pronounced .
Depending on temp and oil.viscosity of gb oil there WILL BE some geartooth chatter with clutch out and idling. Also you will hear some tooth chatter at low speed idling along in 1st gear and lightly loaded.

If there is a squealing sound approx half clutch down, it is likely the thrust bearing is not running Free and it's face is rubbing across the faces of the clutch diaphragm fingers. I removed the rubber bell housing bellows a bit sideways and CAREFULLY sprayed some lube onto the finger faces. Be carefully only to hit that area though, so none enters the friction area or pressure plate and flywheel frictional.areas.
mt1

Post by mt1 »

Thanks for the reply.

Apologies, my poor choice of words, I meant noise is coming from transmission area because I haven't crawled under the car and listened closely, but will do that soon if I get my hands on stethoscope.

Just in case, I'd like to clarify (English is not my primary language) that for depressed clutch I mean clutch pedal is up and for pressed clutch I mean clutch pedal is fully pressed down. If my initial post is wrong/misleading please let me know and I will fix that.

However I don't hear any squealing noise at any point of clutch pedal, down, halfway, up.

Reason for my post is that as preventative maintenance and already somewhat worn clutch I am planning to change clutch kit with release bearing and looking to find out is there something else that should be replaced while transmission is coming off. So if flywheel is okay, I don't have to pay 3x more than just replacing clutch kit and release bearing. I know preventative maintenance should include flywheel as well but it is very hard to find an flywheel for this car here, only one place offers which is only OEM and it's 2x more expensive than my VW DMF :), which I why I would not prefer the replace it, unless I have to.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

mt1
Thanks for being clear regards expressions etc. I think you are doing very well. It is usual for clutch pedal to be expressed as "pedal up"/ released, ie, clutch engaged and driving , or "pedal down"/depressed and clutch released and no drive to gearbox.

If you have the gearbox out and are changing the clutch, IF the flywheel face is damaged, worn or thinly surface cracked only on the surface, you may be quite ok to take it to a REPUTABLE Machining Shop who reconditions engines etc, and get them to reface the flywheel in a lathe. After setting it up and spinning true, A couple of skims across the face to remove affected portion might be far cheaper than a flywheel replacement. Might have to remove any steel dowel pins, which align the pressure plate assembly, to do that though. Tap them back in after the job is done.