chip or remap.

blinky

chip or remap.

Post by blinky »

looking at a dp chip, steinbauer chip or a remap. What are your thoughts on the best way to go?
Duck

Re: chip or remap.

Post by Duck »

What are you trying to achieve?
Chips can be removed if still under warranty - for a claim
Remap seems to be more popular now, some companies will put back to factory or a warranty claim needs to be made. As if all the windows explode and the seats shatter it would be because of the chip or the aftermarket exhaust obviously.
If wanting fuel savings get smaller wheels not a chip.
If you want more power than chips/remaps keeping in mind nothing else is changed, just like driving a 4 cylinder like a 6 can do for a while before it goes implodes.
I did sell the Steins for a few years and admit to no issues with them, just seems like a lot for a bit.
Good luck with the choice.
blinky

Post by blinky »

Thanks for the reply. It's a 2010 lsu towing a 2.5t caravan. Are you saying save my money and leave it as it is and let it do it's own thing.
gk50

Post by gk50 »

I almost sold my Max (2012) because it was a slug towing a van similar to yours. I researched chips and was told the one you are keen on was the best, then looked at remaps. I went the remap route and glad I did. So much more power and a huge increase in torque not to mention fuel economy. This was done after the warranty period, so far no issues for 50k kms. I did put on a snorkel and a EG temp gauge. Mines only got to 500C twice towing up big hills, my limit is set at 550C. (remaps currently cost $1000 from my supplier) Your call.
blinky

Post by blinky »

Thanks gk50. I'm leaning towards the remap after hearing your thoughts.
gk50

Post by gk50 »

Blinky, the only problem you will have tho minor after a remap is you can't take your Max to Isuzu for a service because the first thing they do at Isuzu is plug your vehicle into their computer. Then bingo your remap is overwritten by the standard software and there goes your money.
Last edited by gk50 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
400web

Post by 400web »

I had my 2013 Dmax remapped for touring and towing, I tow a 2.7t van.

It has made a significant difference to performance and fuel economy, both towing and not towing.

My supplier saves the map and will re-install a few times if Isuzu overwrite during repairs. My ute is out of warranty and doesn't get serviced by a dealer so no problems.

Just check with whoever you are considering to do the tune and ask them what happens in this scenario.
jackjames

Post by jackjames »

Also remapped here, with a idrive also fitted, it's like a rocket. Also the company will reflash no charge if it's ever overwritten. Also they deleted the EGR limp mode error codes which were giving.me trouble after fitting the EGR block plate
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

Jack.
While a remap will increase many things, it is what manufacturers do to the NEW model to make more power and torque than the last model. Maybe a few different fuelling characteristics though. The idrive doesn't make it go any faster, all it does is electronically full fuel the system until it detects you don't want more with pedal position. Same can be done by flooring it each time until you want to slacken off. All measured by the Bum Dynamometer. Either way, if you camera the exhaust stream it will show heavy black until the turbo catches up in boost. Wasteful, as it means fuel $$$$$'s going out exhaust with no effective gain.