09 Temp guage reading and TPM warning

DPR

09 Temp guage reading and TPM warning

Post by DPR »

I am looking at a used 09 D-Max and the temp gauge is reading about 3/4 to the top. Trying to find out what the normal reading is supposed to be. Dealer said they changed the thermostat.

Also, does the TPM system on these trucks rely on valve stem caps to send pressure readings or is it internal somehow. I'm getting a dash warning of TPM failure and low tire pressure.
mydmax

Re: 09 Temp guage reading and TPM warning

Post by mydmax »

I have a 2011 Dmax and the temp gauge runs slightly over the midway point. If yours runs 3/4 then either the thermostat is a hotter thermostat or there is a restriction to airflow or cooling water flow issue. If you place the vehicle under more load the temp may rise slightly IF the thermostat is the hotter type. If the temp rises noticeably then there is a flow of air of water issue to look for. Is there evidence the thermostat housing has ben removed/replaced to indicate a thermostat change? The fan clutch may be low on silicon oil and not operating sufficiently to create cooling flow at lower road speeds. At higher road speeds, not so noticeable as the frontal flow of air will be enough to cause the necessary cooling of the radiator core. Is yours a manual or auto? An auto can be another story depending on what is being towed, if applicable.

Dmax must have an aftermarket TPM system and it can be either type, Easy to see if it is cap sensor type as they are more bulky and different from a plain cap and have internal button cell battery. If internal it most likely is a band around the rim minor diameter and inside the tyre itself. To check, the tyre has to be removed.
Rus Ler

Re: 09 Temp guage reading and TPM warning

Post by Rus Ler »

My 2011 runs half way which is 85 - 90°c according to a Scangauge which is plugged into the obd port