ARROW1

Disc brake pads

Post by ARROW1 »

Hi
What's the best disc brake pad for a slide on camper 700 kg for the Dmax
goody59

Re: Disc brake pads

Post by goody59 »

Bendix U4WD-BUK10 Ultimate 4WD Brake Upgrade Kit Std Ride Height - Holden Colorado / Isuzu D-Max
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

All depends on what you really want. There are many pads available which may give better braking. If driving with a heavy load then the driving style would also have to change too!
The Bendix kit above is all very nice I suppose, but at $1200 or so, it is quite a chunk of cash which may be unwarranted. I notice that kit comes with braided lines. I hope people realize that braided lines DO NOT enhance or alter braking power in any way. Maybe the"feel" is different but not the stopping distance. I would discuss pad type with a brake shop who do this for a living and often get asked for elevated performance at reasonable cost.
Ceramic systems may be better with high demand use , but most are not good when cold and unheated. Most vehicles don't travel with frequent brake use to give thek optimum braking and so may NOT intstantly give avoidance braking straight from cold.
ARROW1

Post by ARROW1 »

Thank you for the reply's,
I have a slide on camper 700kg going down steep pass I got brake fad also could smell the brakes
goody59

Post by goody59 »

ARROW1 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:15 pm Thank you for the reply's,
I have a slide on camper 700kg going down steep pass I got brake fad also could smell the brakes
You can use the auto transmission to engine brake, manuals do even better at this with gearbox.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

First learn to use your brakes properly and drive wisely
. Heating of brakes to the smell degree is foolish and if they fade you will not be able to stop and then you are a statistic. Much can be done if not pushing the envelope to the failure point. Firstly use the auto retardation or manual box to retard and control decent speed and ONLY use brakes occasionally. If riding the brake constantly you are adding frictional heat to brake components. If you have Free wheel hubs fitted, you can have them unlocked for normal use and then use LOW RANGE and the auto or manual, whichever you have, to have further control decent speed to easily managed safe levels. Doing that will also lengthen brake life and yours too, in such circumstances.
Last edited by mydmax on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikes7

Post by Mikes7 »

Agree with the above advice, another rule of thumb I use when towing is, whatever gear is used to go up, is the same gear for coming back down. Amazing the number of people that rely on just the brakes to come down a long incline, and if you have a lot of gear stacked on, or a 2 Tonne Van pushing from behind, brakes alone ain't gonna cut it!
Regards,
Mike.