Grease for propeller shaft and Uni joint

Josh

Grease for propeller shaft and Uni joint

Post by Josh »

I have noticed that my mechanic looks like he has not used grease containing molybdenum disulfide to grease to propeller shaft and uni joints on my 2015 Dmax recently. The grease looks to be a light brown colour and semi transparent which I assume is standard multipurpose grease for greasing these areas. I am doing a Simpson trip in the car soon. Is there any issues with using this type of grease rather than moly type. Prior to this the Isuzu mechanics have always used moly grease and there still appears to be this moly type grease that has come out from spaces where greased in uni joints. Can only see to new brown grease on the grease nipples. The manual specifies multipurpose grease containing molybdenum disulfide.
mydmax

Re: Grease for propeller shaft and Uni joint

Post by mydmax »

Josh.
I use either Moly grease Castrol LMM. OR Nulon Teflon grease. I have used the Nulon Teflon grease evrywhere in a 61 series cruiser for 100,000km, unis and wheel bearings good at 200,000km. Since owning the Dmax again wheel bearings and unis with Nulon Teflon. I carry a compressor and an air grease gun and use it more frequently than the manual says. Either should do the job. Best to have any normal grease passed through IMHO.
Danno

Re: Grease for propeller shaft and Uni joint

Post by Danno »

Moly grease is best but we don't use it in the uni's of our 125T road trains, just an all purpose grease and they last 100's of thousands of k's before wearing out so what's been put in there will do no harm but I would go back to moly in future.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549