isuzu mux 2016 (no DPF) valve adjust

For MUX Specific Topics
dmsantam

isuzu mux 2016 (no DPF) valve adjust

Post by dmsantam »

Hello all, first post and a couple of questions that i didn't find answered in the threads i searched through. I am about to undertake a valve check for the 40K service of my Isuzu MUX 2016 model (pre-DPF) and coolant change. I have a lot of experience working on various different vehicles (especially motorcycles), but this is my first diesel vehicle that I've done valves on.

I have the special tool required to tighten the locknut while a screwdriver goes through the middle to hold the adjustment. I have not yet dismantled anything, and won't until I have all the parts and info i need.

Questions:
1. To get to TDC, i need to rotate the crank. This appears to be be best accessed from underneath the vehicle at first glance. Do I need to remove the fan to access?
2. Do I need a second person to check the timing marks?
3. Do I need to remove a glow plug to turn the engine? I know it will make turning it easier, but is it required?
4. Any other tips?

Thanks, and cheers.

Dan
mydmax

Re: isuzu mux 2016 (no DPF) valve adjust

Post by mydmax »

With suitable sized socket extension just run the crank, the fan will try to turn but slip as it does why freewheeling. No problem there. You do have to turn the crank one full turn to get to the no 4 TDC so alternate valve can be adjusted. No glowplugs need removal but you will feel the compression resistance, just take your time turning. You should feel each cylinders compression resistance /approached slight sudden loss of, as tdc is reached.
Special tool? A socket with a hex on top to loosen/tighten and a screwdriver appropriately shaped and thickened at blade to snugly fit the screw slot will make accuracy and feel best of all.
dmsantam

Post by dmsantam »

thanks mydmax. do I need a new rocker cover gasket or can it usually be reused? how about injector seals?

cheers
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I have done valve clearances on mine twice so far and although I did replace the cam cover gasket it didn't really need to be done. I used a little smear of Loctite 516 red plastic gasket on the mating surfaces and also checked the cam crescent 1/2 moon plugs with it, to make sure they sealed again. If you painstakingly CLEAN the injector seals with a paint brush and blow away any crap in the grooves and are careful removing cover, ie, wriggle it loose, not suddenly rip it upwards they should be ok. Mine after two settings are original seals. Lubed just before removal so they slid off and a thin grease layer on seal lip when replacing.
dmsantam

Post by dmsantam »

good info. thanks!