Head gasket issues 2013 dmax

For MUX Specific Topics
Berretta202

Head gasket issues 2013 dmax

Post by Berretta202 »

I am posting my recent discust with Isuzu.
My 2013 dmax 3 litre deisel has blown a head gasket at 79k. Couldn't believe when the Isuzu mechanics told me.The truck drives very short journeys and is religiously seviced to the service book.I rang Isuzu up to see if they would come to the party and they stated that it was wear and tear.WHAT A JOKE.I was going to buy another this year as the new dmax appealed to me,but i will be giving isuzu a wide birth and telling as many people to stay away from them as their customer sevice is non existant.If you own a dmax of similar age get rid of it or you will pay as i have.
I have owned Toyota's in the past and will be going back to them. I only bought the dmax because of the engines reliability.Should of stayed with aToyota.

Cheers
Disgrunted dmax owner.
mydmax

Re: Head gasket issues 2013 dmax

Post by mydmax »

Hello Disgruntled.
You seem a little uninformed about engines!
Perhaps you are the cause of it. If your vehicle has done 70,000km of short runs and cold starts then the total of normal use would be for 350,000 to 400,000 normal starts and running. The aluminium cylinder head is bolted on, but DOES NOT become fully clamped UNTIL the engine is at normal operating temps. Therefore, after a cold start if the engine is not allowed to warm up a bit and is driven under moderate to high acceleration, the cylinder pressure is max but the sealing force of the gasket is minimal until it is hot and gasket failure WILL result. SO, cold starts are killers of gaskets especially if the power is asked for and turbo boost and sudden engine heat of combustion and pressures are near maximum. Any amount of servicing good or poor has, little or nothing, to do with the gasket life so is not a factor in this case at all.
Short running, always cold or colder starts kill lots of engines. Taxis are the other end of the spectrum and always hot and minimal starts. they don't seem to blow gaskets much.

With a smarter, wiser driving style and armed with knowledge of what you are doing to your engine with cold starts and driving before it has warmed somewhat, an Isuzu is just as good as any other, maybe better. It is not always the fault of the maker, plenty of people have ways to destroy the vehicle. Isuzu has seen this all before.
I have a 2011 Dmax but NEVER drive it hard and always accelerate gently until it is warm. Usually takes at least 4 kilometres to get warm because of diesel efficiency and mass of engine metal. Flogging it warm it quicker but sudden intense heat in the cylinder will distort and destroy.
Berretta202

Post by Berretta202 »

Hi mydmax,
My wife drives around 18 km each way to work and always warms the engine up before each trip.Surely the engine should be warm by then.I am not alone with this issue as i have read numerous forums with people with the same issue.Not a happy camper and i will never buy another.Should of kept with Toyota's.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

I think the term is, “should’ve stayed with Toyota”. Should’ve is a shortening of should have! Somehow people say, should of, for some strange reason. Just lazy. Yes, all vehicle makes can blow head gaskets. Is it a big problem with Isuzu? I don’t think so. If you keep buying another brand of vehicle each time you have a problem is a solution I suppose.
Berretta202

Post by Berretta202 »

7x Toyotas
Ix dud dmax pal
That is all i have owned
Danno

Post by Danno »

Berretta202 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:40 pm 7x Toyotas
Ix dud dmax pal
That is all i have owned
Not sure of the exact cause of this particular failure but just out of interest as it came up recently the info in this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1993 is a likely and possible to cause this type of thing unless it's a cracked head of course.
Cheers
Dan
Google search trick- site:newd-max.net search term here
http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1684
Build thread http://www.newd-max.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=549
garrytre

Post by garrytre »

Hi Dan

I've just read your viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1993 again.

To my knowledge, the manual that came with my 2013 D-Max contains large blocks of cut'n'paste from other sources, and the advice and instructions given are irrelevant and wrong.

I wrote to Isuzu re 'tow with a rope attached to the axle' (p7-42) and they wrote back saying it's wrong, please cross that out.

I wrote to Isuzu re daily check fan belt (p6-14) which wants me to to press the fan belt with 98 Newton and measure deflection, and assess its vibration frequency using a sensor mike (should be 160-174 Hz, or 188 - 210 Hz new!!). That's a daily check by Mum & Dad Public. Funny, they didn't write back.

Other discrepancies - no reply.

I reckon there are enough discrepancies in their manual that it might be a useful tool in any legal action. Eg, if I smashed my rear brake lines based on p7-42 advice could they argue?

Problem then is that you have to know which bits to take seriously, and which bits you have to ignore. If you're competent to do that, you didn't need a manual in the first place. And if you need a manual, you won't know which bits to ignore.

Or is there a disclaimer somewhere in the fine text - all instructions must be followed, except the wrong ones.
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

G'day Garrytre

You are sounding a bit like me, I read your reply and it seems logic is not what any company wants to hear from their buyers, the, DO as we say concept, is usually the way and they can hide their mistakes in vehicles manuals and workshop practices. All companies are in it for the money not as a community service, although some regard it to be that way. If coolant was or is an issue, it would seem to me to present itself at the thermostat housing or water pump where turbulence and erosion is greatest. It is on other engines. The internal edges of a cylinder gasket where it touches coolant presents low flow turbulence and unless not sealed, can happen though in some cases, the fluid seeps through the gasket material weakening it and mostly appears in the oil system. If a blown head gasket, ie, not a cracked head, is almost normally because of high application of cylinder pressure and heat when cold. The sonic speed of gas but microscopic repeated squirts of gas now crossing to the water system, making bigger fault path, then usually causes the gasket to be eroded away. That is what I have found in many repairs. Not often, do gaskets blow or fail for no reason. A cracked head mostly happens because of sudden uneven heating in the cylinder, and since aluminium expands more easily when heated, if hot squirted as in cold acceleration will cause buckling and if too much a crack develops, then the fun starts.

The op didn't give any details as to symptoms or conditions prior to the failure, nearly always there is some detected in normal driving and detected in periodic checking of vitals as should be done. Nothing in this case it seems. So use and ignore comes at a price with many electro mechanical and chemical systems we daily use. I never expect unfailing reliability but do make sure vitals are looked after.
goody59

Post by goody59 »

I wonder if the correct coolant was replaced into the entire cooling system at the 40,000 k service? That could lead to failure of head gasket I assume.