2014 3ltr TD DMax engine noise

Off Topic Chat NON D-max/Colorado Related
TroySteck

2014 3ltr TD DMax engine noise

Post by TroySteck »

2014 3ltr TD DMax engine noise.
Current kms are 210 k kms.
Daily drive towing 3 t.
Have noticed recently that when towing up hills and revs are at 2200 and upwards engine is very noisy and rattles.
Not sure if injectors or something else.
Should I be worried?
I am pedantic about servicing.
Extras on the vehicle.
Catchcan.
Double fuel filters.
No remapping etc.
mydmax

Re: 2014 3ltr TD DMax engine noise

Post by mydmax »

Hello Troy.
Maybe this post should be in the mechanicals or engine section. If your vehicle has done over 200k then the injectors cannot be in top condition anymore. If it has also done many cold starts , like mine has, the injectors nozzles will not be spraying properly and seeing the ECU delivers sprays in multiple sprays per injection, at certain times, like power or acceleration, ANY lack of fuel atomization will resulting uncontrolled fuel being injected. If that is happening and globs of fuel is being injected, it will cause detonation of fuel mass injected instead of a controlled burn.
Towing demands additional fuel,so it could be as I describe.
No amount or correct servicing will. ever alter this situation.
Maybe you can position a GrPro or similar at the rear, and observe if it suddenly emits smoke which is a result of poor injection spray and combustion, not to mention loss of fuel economy. This is a form of diagnosis to detect what is present.

However, when these CRD engines do begin a higher injection pattern when under load, the noise will be more noticeable as injection pattern causes multiple pulses per single injection event will a!E more noise.
If the noise has changed from what was heard before then degradation of injectors may be the cause.
I am about to replace my injectors because of economy loss and noisey injection when cold.

Hope this helps you determine the issue.
CN1980

Post by CN1980 »

valve adjustments?.mine were noisy until they were adjusted.even if you get your vehicle serviced they often don't adjust them.i had it happen to me.they charged for it though!.
Davros

Post by Davros »

Also just check over stuff like heat shields etc. around the turbo and exhaust. My Ranger developed an “expensive rattle” that turned out to be the turbo heat shield being a bit bent!
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

The question to ask there is HOW on EARTH did the heat shield get bent??? They are a STATIC item which doesn't ever move. Perhaps a HUMAN monkey touched it. They are dangerous things those humans!
Davros

Post by Davros »

mydmax wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:01 pm The question to ask there is HOW on EARTH did the heat shield get bent??? They are a STATIC item which doesn't ever move. Perhaps a HUMAN monkey touched it. They are dangerous things those humans!
Bang on - it was the humans critters doing the transmission that bent it!