Hi

Check In and Say G'Day
MaxiMux

Hi

Post by MaxiMux »

Hi. I'm new here .
Myself and the Mrs both drive Isuzu. Me a Dmax 2015 cab chasis with a tray and The Mrs a 2016 Mux .
I wish I had got the 4WD but Cab chasis but I didn't . I didn't know it was about to happen but not to long after Buying new Dmax we left the City and went bush to live .
We are on a sth Gipsland farm with lots of 4WD country around us . Spewing !
The Mrs would not let me take her car out bush now, not after after how I treated the paint job on a previous 4WD's we drove . lots of camping and snow trips with the kids.

The Dmax was great with moving and towing an awful lot of big loads from the city. Its a great car. I do miss not being able to put a seat back for a nap though.

What I want to check out is how much servicing I can do myself . I want to start with oil changes . And buying the right oil and filters, as well as finding out about anything else I need for doing that . I cant keep up with the service centre costs any more.

Thanks for the place to do this :)

MaxiMux
Tink

Re: Hi

Post by Tink »

Welcome to the forum.

Tink
Duck

Post by Duck »

Welcome along, there will be plenty of threads about servicing, but I use a mechanic so not the person to advise on this. But do a search open a bottle of whatever you like & take it in. Take the wife’s car and blame the kids for scratches!!
mydmax

Post by mydmax »

MaxiMux
Being in Gippsland there is access to plenty of high country. Been in there on motorbikes and 4wd too.
I am in Central Vic.
Regarding servicing,
Many items you can do yourself and only some require skilled expertise above normal capabilities.
Oil changes and filter is straightforward and other filters, ie, fuel, just requires a procedure to follow.
Some fit an additional pre fuel filter of slightly large micron size filter, to assist in catching both contaminants and water.
Realistically these vehicles, like most, don't need tuning as it is fixed. Only after each 40,000km is the valve clearance check and possible adjust if needed.
Most items like the intake airflow sensor and the boost sensor can be easily unscrewed and cleaned periodically with a sensor cleaner.

Gearbox/autos can also be done with a specific procedure and much of what can be done to promote long life is often "overlooked" at dealerships.

Diffs and transfer case are easily drained when hot and refilled with appropriate lube quality/typeat service intervals.

Best thing to do, seeing you have two Isuzu's, is to buy a decent quality OBD scan tool which can identify fault codes and therefore point you in the right direction to look for any fault which may occur. That is what a dealer or mechanic does anyway.
Having a printout on paper, many sheets, of the codes allows you to quickly look up the system for further investigation. If you can't ID it someone else probably can. Really good to have if travelling away from home area as you know what might be the problem, if any, even if a mechanic has to intervene later on.

The OBD scan tool allows you to reset the fault code so limp mode is cancelled. Yes you can do it!
Mine used twice, once after turbo boost chamber hose fell off and in limp, and once on a very low pressure stormy day the there was not enough EGR flow and again limp happened. I do have a larger exhaust and EGR restrict, not blocked though. Both times I was able to get going again in a couple of minutes, rather than calling mechanics/ flat tows and motoring assist lines.

Cheers
mydmax
MaxiMux

Post by MaxiMux »

Thanks guys .

Take the wifes car . lol . Yeah maybe I should try it out .

Interesting about the OBD mydmax, thanks . Ill do a bit of research on that one .

Maximux